Saturday, May 21, 2011

From the Streets of Salem; Sometimes the clothes DO make the man

Salem, MA - I remember the day I had one of the most important job interviews probably in my life and the life of my family.
It was in 2006 when I was living in a family shelter with my husband and my youngest daughter. I had the opportunity to put my skills to work and financially to help my family get ahead. What I also remember is the concern I had because my wardrobe was definitely not appropriate to go on a job interview or to go to work each day.
I was blessed with a caseworker who was familiar with the ordeal of homeless people who do attempt to aspire, yet with no clothing and no money to look good they do not have the self esteem to move forward and to better their lives. Several appointments were set up for me to not only give me a makeover on the outside, but to also give me a makeover on the inside too; when someone feels good about themselves then they tend to achieve much more than what even they thought possible.
My first appointment scheduled was at the Dress for Success program (dressforsuccess.org), which helps disadvantaged women gain economic independence by providing attire to help thrive within the workplace and then within their lives. During my initial visit I felt like a queen. 
I was given a choice of high quality donated outfits and accessories.
Once the interview was completed and if I was hired, I would be invited back to choose more donated clothing, accessories and shoes to wear to my new job — until I could afford to purchase my own clothing once I started receiving paychecks.

The next dilemma was my hair. As a potential candidate I needed to look my best and to sell myself. Looking your best is something that even the ancients believed in; grooming and cutting hair is one of the oldest art forms in mankind’s history.



One establishment that works with their clientele in Salem is Wicked Hair Design (wickedhair.net), founded in 2010 and owned by Jen Lubas Robito.
One day I walked into the salon feeling drab and in definite need of a lift. I walked out feeling like a new person — a new look on the outside and a new person on the inside. Though Jen does certainly have her overhead to meet with running a business and the need to care for her own family, she worked with me as an individual concerning my finances to ensure that I could afford to get my hair done.




Another local business that helps those in need is Radiance Aveda, owned and operated by Trish Grzela, with locations in Marblehead and in Salem. This salon (radianceaveda.com) offers specialized consultations and discounts that are posted on their Facebook page. These discounts add up to great savings for those who, like me, are currently counting their change.

 Back in 2006 I did get the job I needed and I was able to move my family back to our hometown of Salem — back to our friends, back to our family, back to my roots where I was born and raised. I often do reflect on the people I have met and though there are days when it seems that the world is dark, I have seen the best in people and the darkness will dissipate. After all, if one person feels good about themselves then they can in turn make someone else feel good as well. 

Read More:




4 comments:

  1. Christine Guido Love the article Tammy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dress for Success Thank you, Tammy. It's always great to hear a story with a happy ending. :)
    Dress for Success Worldwide - West Thanks Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your writing Tammy so eloquent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen Tammy you should be writing for a renowned publication love your words and what you have to say!!!!!

    ReplyDelete