Friday, May 6, 2011

From the Streets of Salem; Cancer fight hits home

Often when I walk through Salem I am inundated with so many, many memories no matter where I go. The ghosts of the past frequent my life and most of my memories are nostalgic. Just like Scrooge in Charles Dickens’ “Christmas Carol,” everyday I am visited by spirits from the past, the present, and the future when I can at times envision myself as a Salem resident aging over the years.
However, hauntings are certainly a part of my memories; hauntings of loved ones lost, gone at least from our physical realm. Loved ones that are taken from us in many ways and one of the second leading ways is through cancer. The state Health and Human Services estimates, through data that takes more than two to three years to be released, from 2001-2005 there were 67,638 cancer related deaths in Massachusetts. So many losses for families and friends. Losses that are reflected in memorials, tributes, benefits and the heart when we as humans naturally come together for each other during times of sadness and grief.
Uniting is evident in the NSMC Walk for Cancer, which will take place on Sunday morning, June 26. Since 1991 this walk has raised more than $16 million for cancer attracting more than 5,000 participants each year. Funding ensures quality care to North Shore patients and families. Participating in any form either through donating, volunteering, or walking ensures unity of a community with purpose. After the loss of my father to cancer I walked in his memory and was uplifted within my soul. The 2011 walk will include a team that recently lost a wife, a mom, a sister, a niece, a cousin and to many of us in Salem a dear friend — Roseann Grocki.




Read More:

5 comments:

  1. Tanya Grocki Read about "Give My Love to Rose" and help us raise money to fight cancer! Thank you Tammy for helping in our efforts to fight this horrible disease!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya Grocki Going to be a great day! Thank you again for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NSMC Cancer WALK Tammy - this is an amazing story. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha Conway great article...be there or be square.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie McKinnon Great article.

    ReplyDelete