Monday, June 27, 2011

AM I A NOBODY?

Firework Debris
Trash

  • Emily Dickinson wrote:
    I'm nobody! Who are you?
    Are you nobody, too?
    Then there's a pair of us — don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know.
    How dreary to be somebody!
    How public, like a frog
    To tell your name the livelong day
    To an admiring bog!

    Well, I sincerely believe we are ALL somebody no matter what and hopefully my columns depict that.


Trash  and firework debris is strewn about as people who reside in the Point neighborhood deal with the ignorance of others which includes those that patrol the area. I have been a Salem resident my entire life and I have lived just about everywhere within a city that I love and a city that is diverse. As a grandmother I generally do get along with others and I do consider myself knowing many people as well as many types of people. However, I know that when I cross Lafayette Street to visit with my elderly mom or to spend time with my grandsons I generally find my patience being tested.

Now, I am aware that many of my readers will say , "Well you live in the Point so deal with it." Deal with it I will not since this city is my city and I also consider Salem my home. A home that lacks as of late courtesy with not only some of the residents, but those that travel through Salem onto Lafayette and Washington Streets. The other morning for example I pressed the lights at Dow and Washington to bring my grandchildren home after a wonderful sleepover at my house and as the light was red a driver in a pick-up truck laughed and he hit his gas pedal speeding right by my grandchildren and me who just missed being struck; meanwhile a patrol car was facing in my direction and whether the officer saw what had just occurred I am honestly not sure - one thing I  am sure of is that when I walk to my mom's or my daughter's at times I am followed as the patrol car probably is wondering what I am doing in the "neighborhood." Another thing I am sure of is that though there are young children with parents on the streets at 11:00 at night crying because fireworks are being set off, even though it is not yet July 4th, that the patrol cars will just drive by as if they are taking a country ride. Now, most of the people on the street of course do not have to work or even get up in the morning so they do not even comprehend that others that live among them do have obligations.

Initially the Point was settled in the 1850's and does to this day encompass architectural and historical significance. A significance that is reflected amongst most of the area residents with just the few "bad apples" that give the neighborhood its bad name. And it is the few "bad apples" that need to know that we as long-time residents do not want to tolerate the nonsense of not caring for your neighbors and not caring for yourselves. And it is those in authority and others not living in the area that also need to stop labeling those that live here due usually to economic reasons. Especially when there are those who live in the area that own businesses and take pride in their homes. And I will be the first to attest that problems can be found everywhere within Salem and that issues certainly do not just happen in the Point.

As I mentioned to a local landlord that I was going to write this on my blog I was confronted with the fact that I should be more compliant and to give in. Giving in is not in my nature and honestly I do not care what others do provided whatever is going on does not "bleed" into the lives of myself or my family. So as July 4th is right around the corner have all the fun you want on July 4th and God Bless America. Also, to those police officers that do their job, especially under rough circumstances...Thank you from all of us "Nobodies."

Read More:
http://www.wickedlocal.com/salem/news/lifestyle/columnists/x1722635354/Tammy-Callanan-Littering-and-fireworks-trouble-the-Point#axzz1QrahCWEF

8 comments:

  1. GASworks (a Guild of Artistic Sorts) Sara Shea Maurno
    Posted you blog here Hope it helps build a buzz. It takes time. Don't give up!
    Keepin' in real! Check out this local blogger & long time Salem resident who advocates for those without a voice here in Salem. Keep talkin' Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 1:38am and I am awoken by firecrackers, roman candles, loud music and screaming people in the street. As numerous residents have called the Salem Police Dept about the disturbance, they will arrive just in time when the offenders have run and hid. I have lived in many different areas and cities, but this is the first area I have encountered where some people have no consideration for their neighbors sleep in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad, yet so very true Sensable Oscar...My oldest daughter who works and attends school has extremely inappropriate comments made to her when she walks down the street to pick my grandson up from the school bus...As I wrote in my column...I REALLY DO NOT CARE what is up believe me I am a resident and I do know many types of people, but the PUNKS well, they are another story and it is the PUNKS that bring the unnecssary "heat" to the hood...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Posting from Salem News Police Log in today's paper....

    Police were not able to determine "which of the dozens of people were lighting" fireworks near Palmer and Park streets at 9:34 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another Posting from Salem News Police Log in today's paper...Relates to drivers on Lafayette/Washington Streets...

    A Honda Accord struck a pedestrian near Lafayette and Leavitt streets at 8:46 a.m. causing a minor dent to the vehicle. There were no injuries, the car wasn't towed, neither party was issued a citation, and there was no damage to the bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara Shea Maurno... Thanks for the article. I am new to Salem, 4 yrs and love this town; I love the history, not just the witches which happened over the course of a few months one summer, but all of it. Having lived in Boston, Cambridge and New York City I appreciate the diversity of culture in this town and simply the openness of it's people. I want to see it thrive for EVERYBODY. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://salem.patch.com/articles/fireworks-on-the-street-how-much-is-too-much#comments

    Salem Patch article and commentaries about the unnecessary chaos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tammy- I commented on the patch article today. I am a point resident as well and like you we've been calling the police over and over for the past 2 weeks with no response. I also feel like a nobody. I wrote a letter to the PD and the Mayor this year. In fact, I have similar letters that we have written (myself and my husband) in July 2006 and July 2008. Nothing has changed. I would love to share these. I posted one here http://keepitklassysalem.blogspot.com/2011/07/point-and-better-news.html#comments

    Our neighbor was threatened this week too, and his tires were slashed. Something needs to be done now. I'm with you and the other condo owners in my building are as well. We would be happy to have a meeting with you to talk about how we can get the police and the mayor to do something.

    ReplyDelete